I posted a muffin recipe to my Instagram today and got some requests for the recipe, so I figured it's been a while since I've blogged, why not do a post specifically for them! It's becoming more and more tricky to get my toddler to eat greens so these muffins are my current go-to. Next time I make them, I'm going to experiment with adding kale and carrots to it! I call them 'Green Monster' muffins because my son is currently obsessed with funny looking monsters and anything dinosauresque. I'll do to get him one step closer to loving greens!
Green Monster Muffins courtesy of The Green Forks.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour (a friend of mine has had success with a spelt flour blend)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup canola oil (I use avocado oil; my friend has had success with coconut oil)
- ¾ cup milk (I use coconut milk)
- 1 (6 ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup mashed banana (from about 2 bananas)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl: flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender (or I use a food processor), place oil, milk, and spinach. Blend on high for about 30 seconds or until completely puréed. Add banana and vanilla; blend on low just to mix.
- Pour puréed mixture into dry mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula until completely combined.
- Fill muffin cups about ⅔ full and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.